Shiju RadhakrishnanFounder of UnRemot Published On: Monday, August 23, 2021 Views 2927
UnRemot - Building the future of work: Virtual & Remote
I, Shiju Radhakrishnan, along with my 6 member team have been building UnRemot since early 2020. I am an expert in product and organic growth (SEO), with an MBA from SP Jain and Master’s from Virginia Tech, US. I have worked with WIPRO Consulting, Ashok Leyland and Cognizant Consulting in the past.
Please provide a brief overview of your product/service?
UnRemot is a personal office for independent professionals. It bundles Calendly + Zoom on a community-based interface, allowing anyone to request, schedule and conduct meetings in a jiffy.
UnRemot has about 40,000+ professionals from across the world, who are independent accountants, lawyers, tutors and freelancers. The largest user base is from the USA, followed by the UK, Canada, Australia and Germany. UnRemot is based in Toronto and Bangalore.
What inspired you to build the above product/service?
UnRemot is built to address two significant problems faced by the independent professionals currently:
- Firstly, the friction they go through every time they schedule a meeting – navigating through emails to using the calendar to working with Zoom. And, this is on an average 5 times a day for active professionals who spend most of their time in meetings. UnRemot enables seamless meetings by combining calendar and video conferencing.
- Secondly, their visibility and discovery. When a prospect wants to meet them, they struggle to find ways to request, schedule and conduct a meeting with them. Often, this is done through recommendations and connections done on emails and messages. UnRemot facilitates their discovery through a community-based interface.
What was the most challenging part of your journey till now?
The most challenging but enjoyable part was the first 9 months of building UnRemot – wherein we had the sequence of building, breaking and tinkering based on the interactions and learnings we had from our users. We were trying to discover a path to product-market-fit and it was grueling and uncertain, at the same time it was exciting like a rollercoaster ride.
How did you overcome initial mindset challenges?
We kept our heads down, insulated ourselves from the noises around us, and continued focus on just one thing – the problem-solution bundle that we were building for the users. During the early days of building a product, it’s best to avoid social media noises on how everyone expects us to align with the regular market norms.
According to you, what are the three qualities an individual must have to achieve success?
The key qualities that could lead one to success in building a product startup could be:
- Ability to identify a large problem, affecting millions, if not billions.
- Ability to build a team that can engineer and sell a product.
- Ability to stay put long enough – the perseverance to navigate through odds.
What is your life mantra?
Noises come and go. Listen to all of it, but take none in, except the one which is your own.
Which online tools/ services/ apps do you use the most and would like to recommend as well?
We use the below tools at UnRemot:
- AWS for server hosting
- WordPress for blog
- AHREFS for SEO
- Google for email
- Drive for storage
- WhatsApp & Slack for messaging
- UnRemot for meeting
- Fullstory, MixPanel and Google for analytics
- Sendinblue for email campaigns
- Figma for designs
Share any one habit which you think makes you more productive?
Create a tasks list for every week, every day, for every team member. Review at the end of the week. Rinse and repeat!
Share any one habit which you wish to change in yourself.
Being anxious when things don’t meet timeline expectations.
What are your plans for the next 3 years?
Grow UnRemot to 10 million active users, without paid advertisements.
If you get a chance to start your career again what would you do differently this time?
I wouldn’t change a thing – happy with how things have gone to date.
What are your top three gateway destinations?
Laptop, phone, unremot.com.
Share a quote that inspires you the most.
You make your luck if you stay at it long enough.
- Naval Ravikant