Sanna VohraFounder & CEO of Indear Published On: Thursday, March 17, 2016 Views 2366
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.”
Sanna Vohra did her Bachelor of Arts in Development Studies and Economics, from Brown University. After having worked in fortune 500 companies like Coca Cola and Morgan Stanley, Sanna went on to create her own space in the startup ecosphere by founding 2020 Restaurant Discount.
Her most recent startup is Indear, which was conceptualized when she was in Mumbai and was helping her friend to plan someone’s wedding. After realizing that no solution exist to better manage wedding location, outfits, décor ideas, and the invitations, Sanna founded Indear.in, which is an end-to-end inspiration, planning, and shopping portal for Indian weddings.
Please provide a brief overview of your product/ service.
We provide the most extensive image-based search engine for Indian weddings, where users can search for just about anything – from floral centre -pieces to chiffon sarees. The level of detail users can search by is unparalleled. Once users find what they like, they can save images onto boards, and share these boards with family and friends to get their opinions. On Indear Shop, users can purchase wedding fashion, costume jewellery, gifts and favours from the best wedding designers and vendors across the country. On Indear Services users can book services like hair / make-up artists, and mehendi artists directly from us as well, or they can call our concierge service. We are an end-to-end platform for planning Indian weddings.
There are many features about Indear that make it different from other vendors in the wedding sector.
- First, the sheer number of images on our inspiration and planning platform and the level of detail users can search by.
- Second, the opportunity to not just save ideas and brands you like, but also share them with family and friends. Almost no one plans a wedding alone in India. So unlike other portals, we made sure to build a tool where users can actually get the opinions and help of family and friends.
- Third, we are the only portal that actually has transactions occurring real-time on the platform. All other portals ask users to send enquiries, which can be very frustrating for users who need answers quickly. On Indear Shop, users can buy wedding-related products directly from us and they can book services in real-time as well.
- Fourth, we have some of the very best brands and vendors in the business as our partners, including the Taj Group of Hotels, Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla, the Wedding Filmer, Ritu Kumar, Anita Dongre, Amrapali, Forest Essentials and many more.
What inspired you to build the above product/ service?
I was in Mumbai for a week in January 2014, when a good friend of mine was planning her sister’s wedding. To give me a sense of the location, her outfits, décor ideas, and the invitations, my friend had to go through multiple email threads, WhatsApp groups, and a word document with pictures pasted onto it. I remember thinking to myself, this is so inefficient – there had to be a better way to plan a wedding. I went back to my job, but continued doing research, and realized that no comprehensive tool existed. A few months later I moved to India and found Indear: an end-to-end inspiration, planning, and shopping portal for Indian weddings.
What is your life mantra?
I like to do things that make me happy, surround myself with people I love, and try and add value to everything that I do.
What was the most challenging part of your journey till now?
The biggest challenge that I face as an entrepreneur is to ensure that we were bringing high-quality vendors onto the platform that couples could trust for their big day. Another challenge is to make sure we are building a platform that provides easy access and navigation. It should actually meet their requirements.
Share some details about the investments that you have been able to fetch for the business till now.
We can’t give details at the moment.
How do you protect yourself from the problem of Brain Drain?
If you treat people well and give them opportunities to learn and grow it builds loyalty. We have been practicing this at Indear.
According to you, what are the three qualities an individual must have to achieve success?
- Work extremely, extremely hard
- Able to objectively evaluate what your strengths/weaknesses are and where your business stands
- To motivate people
Which online tools/ services/ apps do you use the most and would like to recommend as well?
We use Trello, a task management tool.
Share any one habit which you think makes you more productive.
I tackle my hardest problem first thing in the morning.
Share any one habit which you wish to change in yourself.
Wake up earlier – I would love to start my day at 6!
Answer in less than 50 words
- One tip to success:
There is no substitute for hard work.
- One mistake you believe every individual must avoid:
Letting your biases cloud your judgment.
- One most important lesson that you have learnt till now:
Don’t rush making big decisions even when under pressure – think them through carefully.
What are your plans for next 3 years?
To grow Indear – increase our product offerings and expand our services platform to Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities in India.
If you get a chance to start your career again what would you do differently this time?
Learn how to code!
What are your top three getaway destinations?
Singapore (where my family lives), Palawan (Philippines), Cape Town (South Africa).
Share a quote that inspires you the most.
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.” – Hellen Keller
- Business Website http://indear.in/